Sunday, September 29, 2013

CHAPTER SNIPPET


Missteps


I’m just trying to find a good ending.  –Brady, age 6                                                                                                         

Worried that Jaime would slip away in the night, neither of us slept well. Stu and I held onto each other tightly, hoping it would help us fall asleep, but I kept listening for the front door to open or the start of a car engine. Thankfully, the night was uneventful.
In the morning, we drove straight to the outpatient rehab facility located inside our local hospital. I felt like I was having an out-of-body experience, as I rode the empty elevator up to the floor labeled “Chemical Dependency Treatment.” I never imagined our family would be here and hoped I wouldn’t see anyone I knew. I didn’t want to have to explain anything, at least not yet. When we reached the front desk, the receptionist was very friendly and asked us if we’d like water or coffee while we waited.    I’d rather have a new life, I thought.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Reviews Are Loved By Authors

Reviews are so important to writers. The good ones boost us and the not so good ones influence us to do better. Here's my first FIVE-S...